At the bottom of a story entitled “Has the Pentagon covered up Space Aliens” in the New York Times on May 27, 2021, reads: “Have you missed a point of view?”
At some point next month, U.S. intelligence agencies are expected to brief Congress about recorded encounters between military personnel and mysterious flying objects appearing to defy the limits of known human technology. Yes, U.F.O.s.
How did we get here, and how should we take the suggestion — made by a former C.I.A. director, among others — that these U.F.O.s are of alien origin?
Here are the questions NYT is asking about.
- When did the government start taking U.F.O.s seriously?
- Could these really be aliens?
- Why you should probably lower your expectations?
- Are there more nefarious forces than earnest curiosity — namely, conspiracy thinking and graft — are behind the resurgence in U.F.O. interest?
We thought this is a great topic for a Summer Thinkibility Nibble. How would you go about taking this NYT article as a topic to think about, just for fun?
“Have you missed a point of view?”
- Perhaps, the internal processing of the images is compromitted by hackers;
- Perhaps, it is confirmation bias or a Festinger phenomena; thing that are flying strange must be aliens;
- Maybe there are gravity-free corridors along with Earth’s space?
- Perhaps, we miss Casandra information: there is some relevant information, but still not available that can explain UFO´s;
- Someone has solved a physical contradiction;
- Nature has solved a physical contradiction;
- It might be manifestations of electromagnetic interference from communication satellites, space observatories and 5G radiation;
- Perhaps there exist inventive souls out there;
Let’s exchange the point of view of Earthlings to that of extraterrestrial intelligences. Maybe it will generate some more ¨missed points of view¨ .
Aliens perceive very slow and little manoeuvrable objects taking off and landing on large areas of liquid at the surface of Earth.
How did we get here, and how should we, Aliens, take the suggestion that these U.F.O.s are of terrestrial origin, appearing to have missed known alien technology?
Aliens Have … Predictive Ideas. Imagine a living creature on another planet. This planet has different atmosphere than Earth and it is in a different solar system. What does your alien look like? Before you start, give your thoughts some direction. Design new perspectives before you start.
So Where Is Everybody? The ability to come up with a lot of alternatives is an important Thinkibility skill, reflecting “mobility” in thinking. As all skills, they have to be trained and maintained by exercises. Recently we came across a funny, but existential exercise.
World’s Most Interesting Reversals. In a Reversal, the usual supposed cause-effect relation between objects or subjects are turned upside down. Reversals are applied to create opportunities to escape from patterns.Carefully designed Reversals are excellent thinking strategies in attempting alternative explanations for phenomenons in medical science, sociology and psychology.